Friday, December 4, 2015

MOM'S LAST CHRISTMAS GIFT



     Christmas was my mom's favorite time of year. She gave to each family member: Aunts, Uncles, nieces, sisters-in-law, brothers-in-law, she even gave to friends and their family who couldn't give back.
     Her last days on earth, she was given a Christmas gift she didn't wear. My aunt had given her a nice, pink robe because mom was ill. She had not worn it three days after Christmas when she died December 27, 1969.
     I remember my aunt asked to return the robe.  I remember it was a curious request, but did not jump to judgment. Years later I realized the two women's viewpoint. They were from the "Great Depression" era. They were frugal. "Waste not, want not," was evident in their decisions.
     Mom knew the thought behind the gift was genuine love. She loved back through a last gesture of frugality.
     I see this same quality in her grandchildren as they have grown. They love to shop. They love to give, even when the recipients can't return the favor. Praise The Lord for a giving family.

 …."It is more blessed to give than to receive. (Acts 20:35) NIV

No comments: